Thursday, August 14, 2008

This american life

This American Life



This American life was a recording about people with learning disabilities. The whole time I was hearing the stories in the beginning I felt really bad. I kept thinking to myself, “what would it be like to be in their situation? Thinking everyday that you’re doing what everyone else is but you’re really not. Having everyone know that you’re different but not you knowing this until a later date.” I was also really surprised that the teachers would yell at the kids for things that even some normal people could do by mistake. Also, when the kids were describing how their homework seemed easier than the other kid’s homework, it made me think of my little brother. He always asks my sister and me why our homework is harder than. My brother also does this for other things like me driving or going places without our parents. In a way, it’s kind of like these people are trapped in childhood, not always being able to do things on their own, getting easier things to do than other people their age, and not being left alone that often. Vincent’s story I thought was very interesting too. I was wowed at the fact that his symptoms were so rare that they had to give he problem its own name. That would probably sound the worst to me if I heard that, knowing that there aren’t any people who have the same symptoms as you that you can relate to. Hearing that his parents would care for him without problems relieved me and made me think of what my parents would be in a situation like that, caring for me everyday and always having to be with me and care for me. The schedule that they made for him helped I think. I could also understand why he would hate it though. Being told what to do and not having control of my day would drive me crazy. That’s why I understood why he wanted to quit his jobs and other activities to regain the feeling of having power. I also saw his reasoning’s for wanting to quit his job. While working at my aunt’s store I realized what some people have to go through everyday, doing the same things with no changes and not feeling like you accomplished anything. That’s why I thought the chicken coup idea was good because it gives the feeling of have a responsibility in the world. Where without you, this entire operation would not exist. Feeling this sense of accomplishment everyday. It just shows that you should do what you want to do and not because of what other people want. He now doesn’t answer to anyone and is doing what he wants instead of sleeping away like some people who don’t have problems even do. 

1 comment:

Wes said...

I enjoyed reading this. What kind of store/business does your aunt own?